Saturday, November 4, 2017

One Thing at a Time


Seasons Fleetings
Ah fall, a time for homecomings, baseball play-offs, and everything pumpkin. This year however, I’ve been noticing a disturbing trend (yes, even more disturbing than everything pumpkin.) I was shopping in a craft store, early October mind you, and was shocked, shocked I tell you, to find Halloween and fall decor was already marked down 50-70%!

Why? Apparently, to make room for the tidal wave of Christmas merchandise that has been stealthily creeping onto their shelves since September. And now it appears November 1st is poised to take the place of Black Friday as the kick off for the Christmas shopping season. It’s as if Thanksgiving is being erased from existence. What’s the rush? Why the hurry?


The Hurry Sickness & One Pointed Attention
It’s a curious way of being, to hurry. It hardly ever lends itself to a good outcome. We’ve all heard the sayings, “haste makes waste” and “slow and steady wins the race.” Even Simon and Garfunkel told us we’re moving too fast. Slowing down sounds great, in theory, but how does one make it work in our fast-paced world?

As I was pondering the logistics of a slower-paced life, I was reminded of spiritual teacher Sri Eknath Easwaran, and one of his books, Passage Meditation. Easwaran believed hurrying was actually a sickness. He claimed hurrying only makes our lives tense, insecure, inefficient, and superficial. Well I don’t know about you, but that sounds awful!

According to Easwaran, slowing down and mastering the art of One Pointed Attention (training the mind to give full attention to one thing at a time) is the remedy to the hurry sickness. Easwaran maintains slowing down can reduce the stress and friction that is caused by hurrying. One Pointed Attention helps to calm the mind and deepen concentration, a pre-requisite for realizing one’s goals.

“It may sound paradoxical, but however tight our schedule, however many things clamor to be done, we don't need to hurry. If we can keep our mind calm and go about our business with undivided attention, we will not only accomplish more but we'll do a better job - and find ourselves more patient, more at peace.” - Eknath Easwaran

 “My Mind Is A Raging Torrent…” –Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Staying present has been one of my life-long struggles. It seems my brain is always one or three steps ahead of my body. In the shower I’m thinking about breakfast. At breakfast I’m thinking about my pending trip to the grocery store. At the store I’m thinking about the chores waiting for me at home. I think you get the picture.

And since chronic illness entered my life some years ago, I have taken my regrets and worries to a new level. I’m constantly catching myself remembering and dwelling on the past, “Could this have been discovered sooner? Why didn’t I switch doctors earlier?” As well as imagining and worrying about the future, “Will I be able to afford this treatment? What if my condition worsens?”


As I reflect on Easwaran’s proclamation and my own habits, I think about what happens when I’m in a hurry. Nothing gets done well, that’s for sure. And how does hurrying feel in my body? Frustration will arise and my jaw will tighten, muscles start to tense, head begins to throb, and my chest feels heavy. In other words, not good; maybe even, oh I don’t know… like I’m sick?

Where to Start?
As I wondered where in my life I could slow down and employ a little one pointed attention, I decided to start at the beginning, my morning cup of coffee.

I do love everything about a good cup of coffee! It truly is the best part of waking up. Many mornings find me at my computer with a cuppa by my side. Lately though, I’ve become painfully aware of how often I take my coffee for granted. I can’t tell you how many times I have reached to take a sip only to find it tepid and undrinkable or worse yet, the mug is mysteriously empty!

My morning coffee had become commonplace, just another cog in the wheel that keeps me going. A strange way to treat something I claim to love. So I challenged myself to stop using my morning coffee as a prop and put it center stage. To slow down and give my full attention to the act of drinking it while doing nothing else. And you know what? I think I’m on to something!

As I sit outside on the deck, cup in hand, I feel the warmth of the brew radiating into my palms. I close my eyes. The steam lightly caresses my face as I bring the mug to my lips. I grin as the smokiness of the aroma tickles my nose. I take my first sip and make a yummy sound.

As I open my eyes, I gradually become mindful of my surroundings. The chirping of the birds and the rustling of the leaves are music to my ears. The trees cast a spell on me as I watch them gently sway in the breeze. I take another sip and let out a sigh. I become aware of my breath, it is slow and even. I feel fantastic in my body!

I am ready to take on the day, one thing at a time.