Saturday, October 20, 2018

Kelly vs. the Pill Case


Previously on WDTM
Last fall when my GI doctor brought up the subject of stopping my Crohn’s medication, I was skeptical. I thought chronic illness required chronic medication. Well, that’s not always the case. Recent research suggests IBD patients who have been in remission for five or more years and have stable lab values (like me) could most likely stop their medication with minimal risk of a flare. He told me to think about it, and we would discuss again after my colonoscopy in the spring.

Fast Forward One Year
All went well with the scope (the-patient-is-fine), we revisited the subject of stopping my medication and I decided to go for it! I relegated my pill case to the junk drawer and have been medication free for the past four months. Last week at my follow up appointment my doctor informed me that all my lab values looked great, vitals were good, and he saw absolutely no signs of active disease! He said I could continue to be medication free and wouldn’t need to return or get labs drawn until April of 2019!

As I walked out of the office, a mix of emotions came over me. Of course I was thrilled to receive a positive report regarding my health and yet I was a wee bit scared of my new found freedom. No pill case to fill and no blood draws or office visits, is this heaven? As I drove home I wondered, “Am I allowed to feel this way, feel normal? Am I still ill if I no longer have a pill case to fill? What if I flare?” Oh boy!

Be Grateful For Whatever Comes -Rumi
Upon returning home, I took some time to process the thoughts and fears running through my mind. I determined my life and health status are not defined by the number of pills in a case or trips to the doctor. I am more than Crohn’s. So, hell yeah I’m allowed to feel normal and savor every minute of NOT filling a pill case or seeing a doctor. Yes I’m still ill; though Crohn’s is quiet, I have other health issues still in need of tending. And if Crohn’s decides to get noisy, I’m fine with that. I am content to enjoy my medication free moment for however long it lasts. And if I need to retrieve my pill case, I know exactly where to find it.